sensitive skin cream

Finding Fudge

Alone and abandoned, will our little gull survive?
raising a gull

Raising Fudge – The Little Orphaned Gull

16th June 2017

sweet willow skincare

Eggbert gets sole custody

Today I was awoken by a PC at my door asking if someone was keeping wild birds. I took him through to where Fudge and Smartie were sleeping and PC Andy then spent an hour trying to find alternative accommodation for my two guests.

After explaining about the danger from cats, it was agreed to put the gulls onto the flat roof, which PC Andy graciously volunteered to do. All the while, using a golfing umbrella to protect himself from the obvious annoyance of Eggbert, who swooped and hollered until the little gulls were safely installed.

At which point, I swear Eggbert gave me a look of smug satisfaction, knowing that he now had full custody – which is what he had been after all along.

12th June 2017

cruelty free skin care

The siblings in the garden

No major incidents to report. Both are eating well and spend their days snuggled together.

Eggbert is unsure of the new arrival and maintains his distance – I don`t suppose that Fudge minds too much as his new sibling is much more fun than a grumpy old bird.

At least we can put them to bed without being attacked!


10th June 2017


Fudge and Smartie

The past couple of days have left me so worn out, I put litter on the bird tray, peanuts in the litter box and a pair of socks in the toilet.

The reason is that another baby gull appeared in my garden but he was clearly injured and although I put him in a hastily constructed nest and kept him warm, he did not survive the night.

I couldn`t imagine that anymore birds would reign down on me, but as the nest of roof bird appeared empty, it was no surprise when my neighbour came to my door carrying another furry bundle.

We immediately placed him on our flat roof in the hope that his parents would take care of him. Unfortunately, five hours later, they still showed no interest and each time I put food for it, Eggbert ate it. The poor little thing had a limp and was pretty listless by 8pm and so we took the decision to put him in the greenhouse with Fudge.

As you see from the photos, they took comfort in each other`s presence and were soon snuggling down together on the cat bed.

Hopefully there will be no more birds falling out of the sky – I don`t think my nerves could take it.

9th June 2017

cruely free skincare

Eggbert attacking husband

Husband attacked by Eggbert as he tried to put Fudge back into his house. Hastily constructed protective headgear. Gull unhurt, husband bleeding from head wound.

8th June 2017

cruelty free moisturiser

Fudge`s luxury accommodation

I have spent the last couple of days planning Fudge`s future and his ultimate release.

Ultimately, I plan to set him up in a penthouse on our flat roof, with his nest, bed, water – and of course Teddy. He will be safe from marauding cats up there, hopefully Eggbert will take over full time parenting duties

That`s a few weeks off though and so in the meantime, I kitted out the greenhouse so he could stretch his legs and see outside. I was still worried that one of the cats would be able to figure out how to gain entry and so after an hours` work, the greehhouse resembled a feline proof fort knox. I still had to go outside every half hour and check that he was safe though.

One bit of good news, Eggbert attacked Colin when he was trying to herd Fudge into his new home, so that show`s that he`s feeling protective towards him. Unlike that hussy on the roof!

6th June 2017


Fudge takes a stroll

Today was another miserable rainy day, but Fudge was demanding to be released and so we shut the cats in the conservatory, put on our waterproofs and let the little fella out.

Eggbert appeared within minutes and greeted Fudge by regurgitating some food. Great, we thought, he`s feeding him, but unfortunately Eggbert proceeded to eat the lot. We`re thinking that maybe he`s a bachelor and will get better with practice.


Hissing Syd sulked all day

He is very protective of him though – unlike rescue cat, Hissing Syd who sat and sulked


5th June

cruelty free skincareIt was with some trepidation that I opened the garage door this morning for I wasn`t sure if Fudge had survived the night or had been so depressed that he just gave up. I needn`t have worried, his squawks of indignation met me the moment I stepped into the garage.

I had already decided not to handle him as, on the off chance, some kindly gull was looking for an orphan to adopt, human smell may put them off. Also, I didn`t want him to become accustomed to human contact.

It took a while, but I managed to negotiate Fudge and his net house onto the lawn, where he proceeded to call for his family.

Unfortunately, roof bird ignored his pleas, but then out of nowhere a gull I had named Eggbert flew onto the garage roof and sat watching young Fudge with interest.

cruelty free skincare

Eggbert watches from a safe distance

Eggbert had been hatched on the roof twelve months earlier, offspring of the hussy who now ignored Fudge`s persistant squawking.

After considering the situation for a few minutes, Eggbert flew down onto the lawn and peered at Fudge through the netting. Fudge was beside himself with glee and hopped up and down, manically flappy his stumpy little wings.

Suddenly Eggbert started pecking at the netting and we were faced with the dilemma of whether to lift it and hope that he didn`t attack the beligerent little bird or leave him where he was.

We quickly decided that if Fudge was to ever to survive in the wild, he would need the guidance and protection of another gull and so, with everything crossed, we lifted the net house and Fudge`s little legs moved like pistons to greet his new friend.

cruelty free skincare

Fudge and Eggbert

It was love at first sight and Eggbert was just as enamoured with his new charge as Fudge was with his new parent.

We let them spend an hour together and then herded Fudge back into the garage for a well earned rest.

He and Eggbert continued to chat before they both settled down for the night.

4th June 2017

Fudge`s story starts on Sunday 4th June 2017.

It was a bright and sunny day as my husband opened the curtains and bleary eyed caught sight of a small furry shape on our neighbour`s lawn. The shape was staggering around and squawking loudly – obviously not best pleased with his current situation.

My neighbour has a dog who loves to chase after small furries, so leaving it there was not an option.

My husband duly dropped off a box next door and 5 minutes later we were presented with the small furry and it bestowed upon us – what I imagine would be a barage of abuse – if we could only speak gull.

At this point, I realised that I knew nothing about birds and he should really be with his mother. I also had three rescue cats who would love to make his acquaintance.

So, plonking Fudge – named by my neighbour – on the dining table, I set about finding him a permanent home.

The RSPCA suggested I call my local vet, they suggested I contacted a wildlife centre and they never got back to me. As the little fella had seemingly become my responsibility, I set to finding out what I could about caring for tiny, little gulls and prepared him his first meal of dried cat food, mashed and served with a side of tuna. Which, I`m glad to say, he gobbled up with relish.

saving Fudge

Fudge calling for his parents

I had hopes at this stage that his mother would be looking for him and so placed him outside, underneath a quickly constructed netting house and waited.

Three hours later and Fudge is still squawking at the top of his lungs, but alas, no-one came to claim him. We have gulls nesting on our roof and I suspected our little orphan belonged up there with the other two birds, but the mother gull ignored his cries and mine – for at this stage I was tired and hungry and found myself screaming `wanton hussy` at the ambivalent roof bird.

I knew from my internet searches that mummy bird would normally keep baby bird warm and as it got colder, I realised that Fudge would possibly not survive outside on his own, so took the decision to move him, his net house and a teddy bear into the garage. I even put a hot water bottle in to keep him warm.

I gave him another feed, fresh water and closed the door – hoping that he would make it through the night.

Leave a Reply